Shoes: Valentino • Denim: Free People • Top: Lucky Brand (On sale for $39.99!) • Handbag: Zac Posen • Earrings: Stella and Dot • Watch: Michele • Cuff: David Yurman • Ring: David Yurman • Lip Liner: Pink Venus by Charlotte Tilbury • Lipstick: Kim KW by Charlotte Tilbury
There is a misconception that you can’t wear distressed denim in the Fall – for reasons I’m not entirely bought in on. If you are petite like me, you know it’s super hard to find denim that a) fits you well and b) is the perfect length. When I do, I wear them all.the.time – especially in the Fall. I have had a pair of Banana Republic distressed denim and these Free People denim that I wear very often because they fit so well and look great paired with any outfit. Yes, they’re both distressed but trust me, you can pull them off in the Fall.
- Pair with Booties. Whenever you’re wearing your distressed denim, add a pair of booties to your look. Even when you’re wearing a summer-y top like in this post, when you add a pair of tan or black booties, it can add a Fall/Winter element.
- Add a Fedora. I don’t know about you but I love Fall Fedora hats – from light colors to dark – they are a perfect accessory to add to any outfit to dress it up for Fall.
- Throw on a Sweater. I mean, this is pretty obvious but throw on a cozy sweater and your distressed denim is instantly transformed into a Fall outfit.
How do you style your distressed denim?
Shoes: SheIn (Only $37!) • Denim: Banana Republic • Top: Anthropologie • Silver Cuff: David Yurman • Gold Bracelet: The Styled Collection (On sale for $39!) • Watch: Michele • Ring: David Yurman • Handbag: Saint Laurent (Similar style here!) • Sunnies: Celine (Similar style here) • Earrings: Stella and Dot • Lipstick: YSL #1 Le Rouge
Even though summer is here, doesn’t mean we have to be restricted to flip flops and sandals – am I right? Don’t get me wrong, I love my summer sandals but sometimes it’s fun to change it up and wear a shoe that is unique to you – not one that everyone is wearing all the time.
I recently purchased these platform sneakers and ya’ll – I’ve received 1000 compliments on them, they are super comfortable, and they are easy to wear to work, to dinner, to lunch, to the mall – anywhere! AND they are breathable which makes them perfect for summer. Wanna know the icing on the cake with these – they are only $37! Yes, you heard right – $37!
If you are still on the fence, below are 5 reasons you should wear platform sneakers this summer:
- Easy to Pair with Any Outfit. These platforms can be worn with your favorite denim, dress, skirt, shorts – honestly, a.n.y.t.h.i.n.g!! They truly are perfect for any summer outfit and can easily be dressed up for a night out.
- The Price is a ‘thumbs up’. I’m sure you’ve seen the Gucci or Alexander Wang platform sneakers that are pricey – given they’re designer! And I love designer, but when you can get a similar look for less, I’m all about it! These are $37 – I repeat, $37! I’ve linked them above – snag them! SheIn also has other platform styles you may love too!
- Comfortable. Ok, so you may be thinking – well, those designer brands are more expensive because they are more comfortable. I can’t say you’re wrong, because I don’t own any, but what I can say is these are comfortable! They are super easy to wear.
- Unique to You. Now, I don’t know about you but I haven’t seen a ton of girls wearing platform sneakers (and I’m secretly loving it!). When I wear these, I feel like I’m the only girl around the office so if you are wanting to wear sneakers that are more unique, I’d highly recommend these babies.
- Set Your Heels Aside. I’m 5’0 – So I’m always wanting a little height. However, my feet are truly gnarly from heels so I’ve been branching out into wedges or platforms more. These have definitely satisfied my heel change. They give me a boost and people at the office are always like, ‘Whoa, you grew!’ – ya, thanks! 😉
How would you wear these platform sneakers?
Shoes: Old! Similar style here • Denim: Rag and Bone • Top: Club Monaco (On Sale for $99!) • Necklace: Old! Similar style here • Earrings: Stella and Dot • Handbag: Givenchy • Watch: Michele • Cuff: David Yurman • Ring: David Yurman
I love summer tops! From flowy to crop tops to floral to fitted – they are my fave. And this summer, there are a few trends I wanted to make sure are on your radar – similar to the Spring trends post I did a few months ago.
Below you will find my top 3 Summer trends to implement your wardrobe this summer:
- All About Them Sleeves (no treble). Detailed tops have been in since Spring and they’re still going strong. Similar to the one above, solid colored tops with a hint of ruffle and bell details are everywhere. I love pairing these types of tops with skinny denim, a pencil skirt, or denim shorts (for a more casual look!).
- Look on the Bright Side. Ladies, if you are trying to break out of your all black wardrobe, I’ve got news for you! Super bright colors are in for summer. In Spring, pink was THE color that stood out, but now, please feel free to wear your bright greens, yellows, purples, and blues – they’re all in.
- Don’t be so Matchy Matchy (I always tell my mother!). So we know bright, solid colors are in along with fabric details – well, we haven’t talked about patterns, and good news! patterns are essential for summer outfits. Mix and match your solids with your patterns – for example, your bright pink sweater with your polka dot dress, or your floral pants with a bright yellow top. Mixing and matching can take a neutral outfit you wear everyday to a fun, new look that you may not have thought of.
What is your favorite summer trend?
Shoes: Anthropologie (sold out! Similar style here) • Jeans: Banana Republic • Top: Anthropologie • Clutch: Clare V • Bracelet: Tiffany & Co. • Cuff: David Yurman • Watch: Michele • Earrings: T&J Designs • Ring: David Yurman • Lipstick: Rouge Louboutin by Christian Louboutin • Sunnies: Karen Walker
Summer finally made its debut here in Seattle and I’m loving it! Over Memorial Day weekend, we had temps up to the 80’s – woop woop! Now, you know what the means right – summer shoes!!
I’ve made a few purchases of summer mules and slip ons that I’m loving and wanted to share with all of you so you can add them to your summer wardrobe.
Below, I’ve included a list of my top 10 summer slip ons, under $200! Which ones are your faves?
- Vince Camuto Loafer Mule | $59.96 | This loafer is under $75 and perfect for the office. I love the Greystone leather color because it goes with just about anything. These mules are great for summer BBQs or casual day at the office – plus they are breathable which will keep your feet cool on those hot summer days. Head over to Nordy’s and pick these babies up at the half yearly sale!
- Halogen Freda Slide Sandal | $89.95 | These in red are perfection! I have a similar pair to these slip ons and I must say, they are super comfortable and easy to wear with any summer outfit. I’ve paired them with skirts, skinny denim, and even shorts. These would work well for summer nights around the camp fire.
- Steve Madden Jole Embellished Sandal | $69.95 | I’ve been eyeing these for quite some time. The black or the nude are great colors for summer wear, plus the pearl detail adds a dash of fancy to them. Since the colors are neutral, you could pair these with any outfit (no need to worry about whether or not you’re going to get your money’s worth), you can dress up a summer shift dress with these, a pair of denim shorts, or even a simple skirt outfit. These will be a pair of sandals you’ll wear all summer.
- Kate Spade Boe Espadrille | $110 | If you read my recent post about me, you’d know that my favorite color is yellow – from sweaters to tops to shoes – I am dying over all things yellow. These are no exception. How darling are these espadrilles? I’ve seen these paired with a delicate white dress – which adds a pop of color to a neutral dress. I’d recommend wearing these as the statement shoe – similar to the outfit in this post. I allowed the yellow mules to pop in this look.
- TopShop Adele Bow Flat Mule | $45 | Give me a bow and I’m in Heaven. These mules are giving me major heart eyes! From the price to the simplicity of them to that bow – I’m in! These mules only come in black but I do recommend having one or two pairs of black summer sandals – only because they can be paired with just about any outfit. These are work and weekend shoes appropriate so pick your outfit and just throw them on.
- Dolce Vita Jaz Sandal | $69.95 | These simple sandals in the Copper color (amaze!) are the perfect casual shoe. These would be easy to wear with some denim shorts and a tank on the weekend or to the beach with your friends. Given the straps are leather, they will stretch and mold to your shoe which will make them super comfortable to wear throughout the summer.
- Kenneth Cole Karolina Mule | $90 | These mules are currently on sale – yay! And are perfect for summer and fall! The cognac color pairs well with dark or black denim for fall or a pair of white or denim shorts during the summer. I love shoes that I can wear multiple season! Plus the price for these, you can’t beat!
- Steve Madden Kandi-P Loafer | $79.95 | I’m having a thing for pearls on my shoes lately – clearly! These mules are absolutely beautiful! Perfect for the office or a trip to the Hampton’s (don’t you think they look east coast?) But seriously, can you imagine a pair of linen white pants and a white button up with these black mules. One word – perfection!
Which ones are your fave?
Shoes: Paul Green • Jeans: Banana Republic • Top: Target (Only $29.99!) • Handbag: Tory Burch (old! Similar style here!) • Earrings: Stella and Dot • Lipstick: Liv it Up by Charlotte Tilbury • Ring: David Yurman • Cuff: David Yurman • Watch: Michele • Jacket: Burberry in Olive Green
Happy Monday everyone! Hope your day is gong well. This past weekend was so lovely – we had a date night on Friday night, which was so nice! And then slept in on Saturday and relaxed. I got my nails and toes done (which I haven’t had done in 2 months!) so I felt so spoiled. I do my own shellac nails so when I splurge and go get them done, it feels so good! And my toes – I don’t do them on the regular so let’s just say they needed it.
Seattle weather is a bit fickle this time of year. It could be sunny and 55 degrees one day and the next, it’s 45 degrees and dumping rain. But the good news is, the trees are starting to bloom so I have a feeling our spring will show up in full force soon (I hope!). As I transition my wardrobe from winter to spring, I tend to keep it simple – I typically pull out light and flowy tops with a light jacket since the weather is so unpredictable. However, I LOVE to bring out a bright color in a handbag or a pair of shoes.
For this outfit, I paired it with this burnt orange Tory Burch cross body that Chuck got for my birthday last year. It’s the perfect color and can add a pop of color to any outfit – especially this one. When you’re wearing a neutral look, it is SO easy to add a colorful handbag to dress up your look.
As you think about updating your wardrobe, add some colorful handbags to enhance your look and add dimension to your outfit. Here are a few fun handbags I’d recommend:
- Add a pop of red to any neutral outfit for Spring. This cross body tote is perfect for those sunny days!
- I never saw a Chartreuse accessory I didn’t like – Add this to a simple maxi dress to style it up!
- If your itching to splurge, I’ve always LOVED this classic Chloe bag. And this color = MAJOR heart eyes! You could wear this bag with pretty much….anything!
- Hot pink is always in for spring and summer and this Ted Baker cross body is no exception.
- I’m going to be honest ladies – Coach is making a comeback! I know Coach was your high school handbag, but they’ve really enhanced their designs and have some beautiful cross-body’s. Here is a gorgeous green that could be paired with blues and yellows this spring/summer!
What is your favorite colorful handbag for the Spring/Summertime?
Shoes: Tory Burch • Black Denim: Birdee Clothing • Top: Birdee Clothing • Watch: Michele • Cuff: David Yurman • Handbag: Saint Laurent (Similar style here) • Earrings: Old, Similar style here • Sunnies: Celine, Similar style here (On Sale for $7!) • Lipstick: Chanel
Seattle finally decided to show it’s beauty with some sunshine this past weekend. It didn’t last long, but boy was it beautiful while it did. Unfortunately, Chuck was sick all week 🙁 so we didn’t get to do a whole lot. But, it was still really nice having the sun shine through the windows instead of gray and rain!
Most of all, I was excited to bust out one of my spring tops – this ‘off-the-shoulder’ denim top from my favorite online boutique, Birdee Clothing. It is super comfortable and I love the ruffle detail. With spring (hopefully!) right around the corner, I’ve been trying to go through my wardrobe and see what pieces are on trend this spring. And if I’m missing something, I know Birdee Clothing will have it.
Below, I will walk you through the top 6 fashion trends for spring and how to wear them so you are fully prepared for Spring!
- Exposed Shoulders. Just like this outfit, the exposed shoulder look is big for Spring. Whether you wear a top like I am that shows your entire shoulder or you wear tops that subtly expose them, they’re in! Here’s another off the shoulder top that I’m loving from Birdee’s new spring/summer collection – you could easily pair this with white denim, distressed denim or some cute white shorts when the temps get hot.
- Stripes upon Stripes. I’m sure you’ve heard the famous phrase – Florals for spring…groundbreaking! (-Miranda, from the Devil Wears Prada for those who may not!) Florals are always a great choice for spring. However, this spring, stripes are hot! Striped dresses that are super easy to pair with converse or sandals are perfect for a Saturday running errands and then transition to dinner with the girls. Or a striped top that you could easily pair with a denim jacket – denim jackets are a staple this time of year! If you need one, here is my fave!
- The Slip Dress. These simple, beautiful items are SO great to wear to work or on a date night with you man or woman. This slip dress can be dressed up or dressed down. Here’s how: For work – you’ll want to pair this dress with a blazer, boots, and a delicate long necklace. This way, your shoulders are covered and you look professional. For date night – you could pair this dress with a denim jacket, sandals or pumps, and a statement necklace. This way, you’re making the look fun, comfortable, yet flirty.
- Mules + Wedges. The two major shoe trends this fall are for sure the mule and the wedge. I have found both of these items at a great price – Maddy Mule by BP (Only $69.95) and these Marc Fisher Espadrilles ($159.95). Both could be worn with just about any spring outfit you put together. Plus, they are comfortable, easy to walk in, and worn at work and on the weekend.
- The Statement Sleeve. This is by far my favorite trend – I’ve never seen a bell sleeve I didn’t like. Big bell sleeves are SO in right now and I’m loving it. Here’s a beautiful, dusty pink bell sleeve top that would pair perfectly with a pair of white denim – either a skirt or a pants.
- Pink, Pink, Pink. I know what you’re thinking, pink is already a spring color – it’s not a trend. If you’re thinking this, oh honey, let me explain! During the 2017 Fashion Week, there was pink splattered everywhere – from handbags to tops to handbags, it was all over. Not only that, but I did some research to make sure I wasn’t just seeing a lot of pink because it’s my favorite color 🙂 Here is an article from Bravo TV saying pink is the color for this spring. Here is another article from Vogue Paris – their first Spring trend is ‘Shocking Pink’. If you aren’t a pink kind of gal but want a pop of color this spring, pink is your color!
If you need more pieces to enhance your Spring and Summer wardrobe, head over to www.birdeeclothing.com and check out their new collection.
Photo Cred: Kim Mitchell @FreshOutTakes
After Christmas time, I’m pretty much ready for Spring! Around the holidays, winter can be way easier to manage – there’s parties, warm food, lots of beverages, and the spirit of giving to occupy your mind. There’s literally no time to think about how cold and rainy it is outside. However, once the New Year kicks off, I start noticing the rainy days just a bit more. And I cherish the random sunny days we get here and there.
This February has been full of snow, rain, and snapshots of sun here and there – but mostly rain. In fact, as I write this, it is literally pouring outside. During the work week, I find it hard to wake up on rainy days and get motivated to dress up. I literally wanna throw on leggings and a sweatshirt and call it a day. If you are like me, and feel less motivated to dress up on rainy days, I have put together a go-to guide to make it easier for you to style an outfit on those wet days:
- Leggings are OK. Many may think, ‘Gosh, I can’t wear leggings to work. It’s too revealing.’ Well, darling, let me change your mind. It is so easy to throw on a long sleeve thermal with some leggings and a beautiful shawl, scarf, or poncho to dress it up. It covers your behind and adds a dash of elegance to your outfit. Don’t be afraid to pull this look off at work! I promise you’ll get compliments from your coworkers.
- Rain Boots are your Friend. I live in Seattle, so if anyone says anything different about rain boots – they don’t live here. Hunter rain boots, specifically, have a brand stigma to them. People ‘know’ Hunter rain boots. And from my perspective, they add a sense of style to a simple rain boot look from the brand recognition. Add a pair of Hunter boots to your outfit and it will instantly add a fun, stylish rain look plus functionality (because they really do keep your feet from getting wet). One hint – if you are petite like me, you can save lots of $$$ with Kid’s Hunter Boots (Only $80 vs $165 for women’s). I’ve linked them above.
- Rain Coat vs. Umbrella. Living in Seattle, you have to own a raincoat because there’s a constant mist that we get here. It’s not like the South, where it pours for 20 minutes and then it clears up. However, I prefer umbrellas when I’m dressing up for work or an event or dinner, etc. because it covers you but doesn’t mess up your hair, like a hood would. I purchased this leopard umbrella from H&M for $6 , years ago and it’s my go-to. I linked a similar style off of Amazon. But it adds another element of style with the print. How easy would it be to dress up a simple outfit with a pattern umbrella? Super easy.
I hope this makes it easy to pick an outfit out on those days you just don’t want to get out of bed and face the rain.
What are your go-to outfits for rainy days?
Shoes: DSW • Denim: Banana Republic • Sweater: Target (old! Similar style here!) • Black x Gold necklace: Stella and Dot • Long gold necklace: My grandmother’s (similar style here!) • Watch: Daniel Wellington • Silver cuff: David Yurman • Gold cuff: The Styled Collection • Handbag: Valentino • Ring: David Yurman • Lipstick: Altressa by Christian Louboutin
We all have those days when we walk into our closet and think to ourselves, ‘I have nothing to wear!’ (This especially happens to me when I haven’t shopped awhile) Which is insane, cause we all, most likely, have a closet full of clothes, but maybe they’re older and you haven’t pulled them out in awhile. Plus, it’s so easy to gravitate towards the clothes you always tend to wear – that top that looks great with that one pair of jeans or the jeans that pair well with those flats you got for your birthday. I’m definitely guilty of that. But I have a few ways you can bring a few of your old pieces out and mix/match them with a few of your daily accessories.
- Throw on a Statement Necklace. This outfit is an oldie but goodie. My gray sweater is from Target 2 years ago but it has always been a great basic. Since I’ve worn this top so much in the last few years, I thought I’d spice it up with a few necklaces so I threw on a black and gold choker style necklace paired with a longer gold chain that was my grandmother’s.
- Hairstyle Plays an Important Role. How you style your hair can make a difference in your look. When I pick an outfit that is an older one, I like to try new hairstyles to dress up my look. For this outfit, I decided to throw it up in a messy ponytail so it elongates my face. Try a new hairstyle with an outfit you’re not thoroughly jazzed about.
- Apply a Bold Eye x Lip . Doing makeup can take time out of your morning routine (at least for me, it does!). I always feel like when I do makeup, it takes forever but once it’s done, I love it. Take the time to apply a bold eye and lip when you’re wearing an outfit that is an older look or one that you tend to lean towards. It can definitely adds a beauty dynamic to your look and can fancy it up.
Shoes: Valentino • Jeans: Banana Republic • T-Shirt: Target • Green Vest: Target • Necklace: My Grandma’s (similar style here) • Watch: Daniel Wellington • Bracelet: The Styled Collection (only $29!) • Ring: David Yurman • Earrings: Kate Spade • Lipstick: Red by Christian Louboutin • Handbag: Michael Kors
- Longchamp ‘Small Le Pliage’ Shoulder Tote //$125
- Longchamp is a refreshing brand. They aren’t outrageously expensive and are known for their quality. For this bag, I’d go with black or another neutral color. This bag is definitely more casual. I would say this would be perfect for everyday at work. It can hold your laptop and all purse items. My one drawback with this one is that it is super casual so not a recommended accessory for an evening out. However, it’s functional and can hold just about anything. And, its very popular so I know it has been a durable bag for many ladies.
- Medium Leather Transport Tote //$158
- Madewell is owned by J.Crew and both stores have gorgeous handbags and shoes. One thing I love about Madewell is they focus on leather goods – shoes, handbags, belts – whereas J.Crew is focused on fashionable items vs. classic and comfortable ones. This tote comes in a cognac color and black. It is functional and can be a work/everyday bag – you can throw your laptop in there with your wallet, lip glosses, keys, and anything else you store in your bag. I’d recommend this if you’re looking for a larger bag for everyday.
- Rebecca Minkoff Small Love Leather Crossbody //$195
- Each of these colors would be fantastic neutrals for everyday wear, especially from work day to night. Rebecca Minkoff is a solid brand with sturdy, yet elegant handbags. They aren’t too ‘out there’ but have some details that make them beautiful. This is a smaller bag, but would be perfect to throw across your shoulder for work and hold as a clutch when you’re going out at night.
- The Pearl Leather Crossbody in Seffiano //$248
- I know this is over $200 (sorry! but I had to share this brand). Lo & Sons is one of my new favorite handbag brands. I just got a duffle from them for Christmas. I love them because they are simple and functional. You’ll notice how they show every aspect of this handbag and how it can help you get through each day. They also use real leather that isn’t too hard and not too soft. It is sturdy enough where it won’t scratch but soft to the touch. I’d recommend this if you want a handbag that is classic, functional, and darling!
- Elizabeth and James Small Leather Carryall Tote //$118 (on MAJOR SALE!)
- Elizabeth and James is a high end brand created by Mary Kate and Ashley Olson’s sister, Elizabeth. I think their brother’s name is James (but not sure!). They have real leather goods that will last. I liked this bag because you could hold the straps on your wrist if you were going to dinner or throw it over your shoulder like a cross body if you were going to work. It isn’t too big and isn’t too small – it’s just right. Both colors are perfect for everyday as well. I would recommend this one due to the look, the various ways you could use it, and the brand is a favorite. Plus, it’s on MAJOR sale from over $300 down to $118!
- Michael Kors Mercer Medium Leather Crossbody //$228
- I’ve had a Michael Kors handbag that I will never get rid of (see above!). I think I bought it back in 2012 or so. It has been so sturdy. I love it! I like this bag because it’s more structured and can be easy to carry as an evening bag or a cross body. Plus, they have some beautiful neutral colors. The luggage color is amaze. It steers you away from black and adds a statement. I would recommend this one due to how long I know it will last, the style of the handbag is a classic, and its functional.