Hairspray: Kerastase • Wand: Hot Tools • Eye Shadow Pallet: MAC • Studio Fix Foundation: MAC • Under Eye Concealer: It Cosmetics • Deodorant: Cashmere Mist by Donna Karen • Blush: Rockateur by Benefit • Mascara: HUGE by Stila • Makeup Bag: Shopbop • Leopard Clutch: Clare V
Brushes: Sigma • Eye Shadows: All that Glitters by MAC; Cork by MAC; Mulch by MAC • Lipstick: YSL Le Rouge #1 • Bronzer: Loreal True Match • Bronzing Powder: Matte Bronzer by MAC • Brush holder: Target (only $7.99!) • Concealer: Laura Mercier
Lipstick: Rebel by MAC
Lipstick: YSL Le Rouge #1
Lipstick: Viva Glam V
I’ve always struggled with my skin. I have a super sensitive face which makes it really hard to wear whatever makeup I want. When I was in high school, I would wear Neutrogena makeup and by 2:00PM, my skin would get super red and literally feel like it was burning off (I know, cray!). So bless my mom, she took me to the Clinique counter that weekend to get me on the right face wash routine – 2 hours and $150 later, I had new makeup and the 3-step face wash routine. It was seriously a dream come true – ever since I started using their products, my face felt amazing and there were no more burning sensations in History class at 2:00PM. Thanks to mama T!
As I’ve gotten older, my skin has definitely changed but to this day, I still use the same Clinique everyday wear foundation. I’ve tried to venture out and try new foundations from Forever Makeup to MAC to Laura Mercier and many more but Clinique is still THE best foundation for my skin. (However – quick side note – the Dior spray foundation is amazing – super easy to apply and lasts all day, but it’s $60 and only lasts a month so we all know thats not sustainable!). But I have been able to try different bronzers, eyeliners, and eye shadows throughout the years so I can change things up. Cause lets be honest, I’m always on the hunt for a new, amazing mascara! 😉
Whether you are ready to ditch your makeup and start fresh or are in need of a refresh of a few of your items, I’ve got you covered. Next week, I’ll be showcasing how to apply all of these items below so be on the look out for the next post in this series.
Below are 5 of my favorite makeup items to buy now:
- Foundation is Key | First and foremost, you must find the right foundation for your face. I personally choose Clinique Even Better foundation because it lasts all day (literally!). My skin tends to get oily throughout the day, absorbing my foundation (at least, thats what I think) so having one that counteracts the oily-ness and lasts all day is the perfect foundation for me. Plus, its only $28! My recommendation is to go to Sephora – tell them how you feel your skin is, i.e. dry, oily, T zone oily, etc, and ask them to give you 5 samples of 5 different foundations to try for that week. Record how your face felt by the end of the day and by the end of that week, you can determine which one is right for you.
- The ‘Lift your Cheek Bones’ Go-to | Second to foundation, comes bronzer. For me, I look super pale with just foundation because I go with the lightest shade to match my neck (so I don’t have a makeup line at my chin!). I’ve used MAC bronzer forever but recently started using True Match by Loreal and I have to admit, I love it! It’s the perfect color plus I don’t break out. I’d most definitely recommend MAC or Loreal for bronzer – what I love that is that they are both at two different price points. I mean, we all know makeup can get pricey, so if you are looking to purchase a less expensive item, I’d recommend the Loreal.
- Bold Mascara | The third item I’d recommend to purchase is mascara. Because at the end of the day, mascara is the one makeup purchase that you can use with any look. For example, if you don’t have time to do a full face of makeup, put some mascara on and you’re good to go. Or if you are doing a full face with eye shadow/the whole shebang, mascara really enhances your look. My favorite is HUGE extreme lash mascara by Stila. I started wearing this about a month ago and have been really liking it.
- The Eye Shadow Trio | Okay. I have found 3 eye shadow colors that I have used for the past 8 years(!!!). I try to wear other shades, but these three have always looked the best. Plus, they are great for work and for a night out with your man or woman. So, here are the 3 – All that Glitters, Cork, and Mulch by MAC. I will share more on how to apply in my next post, but they are the perfect combination for your eyelids.
- Never Met a Lipstick I Didn’t Like | I’ve become a huge fan of lipstick over the past 5 years. To the point where I’ve collected probably 20-25 lipsticks! (I know, crazy!) But I love having the options. If I had to pick one that is perfect for a night out or a day at the office, I would recommend Liv It Up by Charlotte Tilbury. It’s the perfect light, neutral pink that looks great with any outfit.
If you end up purchasing any of these items, let me know how you are liking them.
What are you go-to makeup items?