Happy Tuesday, all! I hope you had a great weekend. We went to Lake Chelan to celebrate my bestie’s birthday and had a blast! Definitely a needed getaway. It was perfect!
Now that we’re back to the daily grind, I took some time Sunday and yesterday preparing meals for the week. The meal I ended up cooking last night was this yummy, healthy Sheperd’s pie. It is super easy, tastes great, and allows for leftovers! You could even prepare the pie the night before and have it ready when you get home from work the next day.
Hope you enjoy!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of beef broth
- 1 tsp barbecue sauce (or Worcestershire sauce)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled & diced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spray or coat a 6×8 oven proof dish with olive oil. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Place the sweet potatoes in the pot.
- Boil for 35 – 40 minutes or until tender. Once done, mash together and set aside.
- Saute carrots, onions, and celery.
- Once translucent, remove the carrots, onions, and celery from the pan and add the ground beef, salt, and pepper.
- Cook until the beef is fully cooked.
- Add the broth and barbecue sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Place the meat and carrots, onion, and celery mixture into over proof dish. Mix ingredients together.
- Scoop the mashed sweet potatoes on top of the beef and vegetable mixture.
- Top the sweet potatoes with walnuts or pecans. I topped it with candid walnuts (yum!).
- Bake for 30 minutes. Serve warm!