My Labor and Delivery Story…

On the way to the hospital!

Hi everyone! I’m baaack – I know it’s been months (I mean, MONTHS!) since I’ve blogged. The end of my pregnancy and 6 weeks post-partum have been a bit life changing, to say the least.

I’ve been meaning to share my labor and delivery story with ya’ll because a) I’ve gotten some requests and b) I want to share my learnings with all you new and soon-to-be mama’s out there.

So here we go…

My due date was December 12th. I always thought it would be so cool to have Charlie on 12/12 cause it’s an easy date to remember (and it’s Frank Sinatra’s b-day :)). So December 12th came – I woke up around 8:00AM (after sleeping a good 11 hour night!) and laid in bed for 20 minutes texting some friends. Then got up, went to the bathroom and went to brush my teeth and the minute I started brushing my teeth, my water broke. Like legitimately broke – not like, ‘Oh gosh – did I pee myself or was that my water?’ It was for sure my water. It was totally like the movies – cups and cups of water was flowing. I stood there for a good 5 mins and didn’t move cause I was in shock! Luckily I was in my bathroom with tile floor and not on the carpet. I then called Chuck and he left work to come get me and then I called the nurse at Evergreen. And she was like, ‘Are you sure your water broke?’ – Ummm..pretty darn sure 😉 So she told me to jet to the hospital within the next hour or so. So I showered, Chuck got home, made me some breakfast and we headed to Evergreen Hospital.

By the time we got there, it was about 9:45AM – I got admitted and I remember my very first contraction…And um, it was THE most painful thing I’d ever felt. And I thought – it’s only going to get worse 🙁 So I immediately asked when I can get an epidural and the nurse told me I had to get to 4 cm. *sigh* so about 4 hours later, I got to 5 cm. Yep, only took 4 hours – I was having contractions every 2ish minutes (some back to back which were the worst). Then I got my epidural and life was good. And I dilated to 10 cm in 1 hour (holy smokes!). So I started to push. Then Charlie’s heat rate started dropping really really low (like down to 60 when it should be above 120!). This happened 6 times (so scary!). So the doc came in around 3:30PM and said, ‘Okay, I want to get this baby out within the hour because the constant decrease in his heart rate is not good for him.’ So he told me I had two options: 1. Vacuum Charlie out or 2. Get a C-section.

I chose the C-Section. The risk in doing a C-Section was all on me rather than Charlie – and that is what helped me make my decision. It was a bummer that I couldn’t deliver vaginally since my body did what it needed to do, but my #1 priority was for Charlie to be healthy.

So once I told the doc I wanted to do a C-Section, it was like ‘all hands on deck’. There were 5 nurses in the room, prepping me and wheeling me to the OR. Chuck got scrubbed in and we were ready to get this show on the road. The anesthesiologist got me all prepped and it took 5 minutes for the actual incision and pulling Charlie out. When Charlie came out, he screamed like he should and Chuck and I started bawling. We were so relieved that he was OK (we were so worried!).

It took me about an hour and a half to come down from the medicine – I got super shaky and felt very out of it. But once it wore off, I felt great and was over the moon with my boy.

He was 6 pound, 7 ounces and 19 inches long! And he’s made us the happiest we’ve ever been.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *