Shoes: Valentino • Jeans: Banana Republic (Darker wash + on sale for $68!) • Top: J.Crew (Color: Neon Geranium + on sale for $39.99!) • Jacket: Burberry (I’m wearing XS!) • Handbag: Saint Laurent (similar style here!) • Earrings: Kate Spade • Watch: Michele • Gold Cuff: The Styled Collection (on sale for $39!) • Ring: David Yurman • Lipstick: Chanel
Can you believe it’s Valentine’s Day? Holy smokes! Where has the time gone? It literally feels like Christmas was a week ago.
Our New Year has been pretty amazing so far (but busy, for sure!). Work’s been a bit crazy (hence the two week hiatus! sorry guys!) plus I’ve been on two trips already – one to McCall, ID for a fun weekend trip then San Francisco for a work trip. On top of all of this, my bestie had her baby – Nixon James – you can find pics on my Instagram @lauren_husum 😉 Plus, my other bestie got ENGAGED! And btw – this all happened in the same weekend. Talk about happiness overload for sure. It’s safe to say that 2017 is starting off on the right foot!
It feels like Valentine’s Day just snuck right up on us. But I have to be honest, I’m kind of excited that its on a Tuesday this year. I love middle of the week date nights – it breaks up the week! We’re planning on grilling some steaks and veggies and having a fun date night in.
Whether you’re having a girls night with your girls or a date night with your man or gal, and have no idea what to wear – I’ve got you covered. You don’t even need to buy a new outfit. Since it’s tonight, it can be hard to run home and pull of a full outfit change before your V-Day dinner. So I’ve put together an outfit that can easily transition from a work day to your fun date night/girls night out.
Here is how I’ve paired everything together – first, I started with pink. I mean, it’s Valentine’s Day. Your either wearing pink or red (at least, I hope!). Grab a hot pink or red sweater you have in your closet. Second, I grab a pair of my skinnies and pair my sweater with them. Then I grab my favorite flats – Valentino’s (dupes here!). This way, you’re comfortable walking around the office and out for the evening. If you have time to run home, there are two items I’d exchange from your work day outfit (that you may not take to work!) – a fun handbag and coat.
My Saint Laurent goes with everything so grab a bag that isn’t too big or too small but can be worn to the office and then out for dinner. Now, if you’re in the market for a new handbag – here is a list of bags under $200 that may come in handy in case you go shopping with your Valentine tonight. Lastly, I pick my favorite jacket – the Burberry (here is a dupe!). This coat has seriously been my all time favorite purchase of 2017 so far. I have worn it almost every single day since I bought it. It’s comfortable, easy to layer in, warm, and dressy – perfect for work and perfect for a date night! Now, I’m date night ready!
I hope this outfit is simple, cute, and easy for you to put together for your Valentine’s Day evening tonight!
Let me know what you end of wearing!
Shoes: Paul Green • Denim: Banana Republic • Poncho: Charming Charlies • Necklace: Stella and Dot • Watch: Michele • Bracelet: Stella and Dot • Earrings: Kate Spade • Handbag: Celine (see similar style here!) • Ring: David Yurman • Lipstick: YSL #1
I love 3-day weekends! They are truly the best. Except when you go back to work on a Tuesday and realize you only have 4 days to get 5 days worth of work done. ugh! But on the bright side, we’re one day closer to Friday. Woop Woop!
This past weekend, Chuck and I primarily relaxed! We worked on some fun home projects (that I’ll be sharing in the next few weeks!) and spontaneously tried a new restaurant for date night. I don’t know about you, but when Chuck and I are trying to decide where to go for date night, we always go to the same restaurants near our house. This weekend, we thought, let’s branch out and try something new. It was a bit chilly with temps in the low 60’s and I was instantly cold. Which secretly I love, because it totally feels like fall and let’s be real, I’m SO ready for fall weather – it’s not even funny. Sunday night was particularly windy so I dressed up in my favorite fall outfit.
Which leads me to share my top 3 must-have accessories for Fall. Take a look.
- Snag Your Favorite Poncho or Shawl. I saw this poncho at Charming Charlie’s when I was trying to buy a gift for a girlfriend, and had to have it. When I think about Fall, I think about how the weather is constantly cloudy, chilly, and majority of the time misting (at least here in Seattle!) during the Fall months. A poncho covers you up, adds a print or statement (like this leopard print one!), is super comfortable, and can easily be worn to work. If you are looking for one item this Fall, go snag a poncho of your choice. You won’t regret it on those rainy days!
- Invest in Booties. I am only 5’0 tall and have the hardest time finding booties that don’t make my feet look too big or my legs stumpy (#shortgirlproblems). However, I finally have. Throughout the summer, I’ve been eyeing these Paul Green booties and tried them on 4 times. 4 times! I know. But they are an investment and I wanted to be sure they were going to be comfortable. I’ve worn then for 2 weeks now and I’m in love (and feel like I’m walking on a cloud). So if you’re trying to find the right bootie for this Fall, head to Nordy’s and check out a pair of Paul Greens. If these are a bit too pricy, then try on some Vince Camuto’s. They have a fantastic selection for this Fall as well.
- Branch out with a Fun Watch. I’m the kind of gal who has worn my Deco Michele watch every single day for the past 6 years. I never change it up, nor have I wanted to. However, Chuck and I were passing through the mall and he spotted this sporty Michele watch. I instantly fell in love with the band color and the rose gold. And he goes, ‘Babe, it’s perfect for Fall!’ Oh.my.gosh! I was shocked when that came out of his mouth. But I have to say, he was right. I’ve been wearing it a few days a week and it has definitely added some color and flare to my outfits. This Fall, try out a new watch that you can switch every few days. Why not switch things up this Fall?
What are your favorite items for Fall?
Have you heard the phrase, ‘Casual Friday’ before? I’m sure you have. Many businesses have a casual Friday dress code, that typically means you can wear jeans instead of slacks. And I’m sure many of you love that because you can take a break from dressing up and dress down for a change.
Well, I believe the opposite when it comes to Friday dress code. I mean, it’s the end of the week and who doesn’t want to celebrate that?
Below I’ve listed 3 reasons why I like to dress up on Fridays. Hopefully it’ll make you want to!
- Celebrate the End of a Week. Whether you work a 9-5 or are a stay-at-home mom, you are working everyday and it gets exhausting. However, by Friday, I start to feel rejuvenated because I know I have 2 days to recoup, spend time with family and friends, and refresh my mind. That excites me and makes me want to end the week with just as much effort as I put into my Monday morning. Try taking a Friday to dress up in whatever style makes you feel all fancy inside. It will motivate you, boost your mood, and make you excited for the weekend ahead.
- Plan a Date Night Out. Typically, on Friday’s, Chuck and I plan to go out to dinner or spend time with friends and family. And when we go out, I really like dressing up. So I look forward to Friday’s where I can wear an outfit that I wouldn’t choose to wear on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. I fancy it up a bit and try to make it an outfit that can easily transition from day to night. Try planning date nights on Friday nights and going straight from work. It will inspire you to get dressed up for your Friday and get you excited for the evening.
- Stay Driven. Friday’s can be days where you know you have two days off right after them and know that you can wear and do whatever you want. For me, I want to spend my Friday’s just as motivated as I would on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday – whichever day you feel the most productive. If I wear a casual outfit on Friday’s, I feel like I’m slacking or my mindset will want to slack more. When I wake up, take my time getting ready, and actually dress up, I feel driven, excited to tackle my workday, and energized to complete my daily tasks. Try taking a few extra minutes on Friday mornings and fancy yourself up. You’ll tackle your day with more drive than you did during the week and know that you get a treat with 2 days off.
Do you prefer to dress down or dress up on Friday’s?
Shoes: Seychelles • Skort: Romwe (Only $12.99!) • Top: Top Shop (comes in Petite too!) • Necklace: Stella and Dot • Watch: Michele • Bracelet: Stella and Dot • Clutch: Louis Vuitton • Earrings: Stella and Dot • Lipstick: YSL #1
Have you worn skorts before? If not, you must try them. They look like a skirt in the front and shorts from the back. The beauty of them is that they are super comfortable, you don’t have to worry that your skirt is too short, and they can be dressed up or dressed down.
In this outfit, I paired this geo print skort with a simple black, double strap top. Added a colorful shoe and done. I’ve dressed up a $12.99 skort!
Below are three ways to dress up a skort like this one:
- Office Style. I would see these skorts with a long sleeve or short sleeve button up top, tucked in, and some nude pumps. This would be perfect for office style that’s comfortable but professional.
- Summer BBQ. Pair this skort with some Tory Burch flats with a tee for a dressy/casual look during the summer.
- Holiday Party. I know it’s only August but I could see this skort with some black tights, a fitting black top with a high neck line and some patent leather black pumps. This would be the perfect look for a holiday dinner or fall night out on the town.
What is your favorite way to dress up skorts?
Shoes: Dolce Vita by Target • Jumpsuit: Banana Republic • Blazer: Target • Watch: Michele • Ring: David Yurman • Bracelet: Light & Bright Lifestyles • Necklace: Stella and Dot (you can wear it 4 ways!) • Earrings: Stella and Dot • Lipstick: Chanel
Jumpsuits…they can be the most comfortable thing you wear all week or it can be that outfit that gives you a huge camel toe at work. And let’s be honest, no one wants that.
I’m only 5 foot. Not 5’1 or 5 feet and a half; straight up 5 foot! But I always wear heels so no one really realizes how petite I am until I wear flats. Then I get the whole, ‘Oh my gosh, have you always been this short?’ Duh! With being short comes struggles with clothes that fit just right. Shopping for jeans, for example, are always a chore. Trying to find jeans that fit my hips but aren’t too big on my waste, and aren’t too long that my heels step on them, is a struggle! Now, I’ve found my few brands that I love that fit my body perfectly but in general, clothes can be a bit difficult being so short.
However, one trend that has always, I mean always worked for me are jumpsuits! And honestly, they aren’t going out of style anytime soon! So if you are petite and thinking, oh gosh, jumpsuits are so cute, I had no idea I could pull them off! Well, sister, you can! Now, if you are taller, the right one may be harder to find. All my girlfriends are tall (I mean it doesn’t take much!) but truly, I have tall girlfriends and they always say, ‘Gosh, it’s so hard for me to find a jumpsuit that fits because my torso is too long!’ And it clicked as to why they always worked for a petite gal like myself. The one thing that may be an issue with wearing a jumpsuit is the leg length. You may have to get them hemmed, but I’ve experienced the dressier jumpsuits are usually longer than the more casual jumpsuit above.
Not only do jumpsuits work on us petite gals, but they are perfect to dress up for work and easy to dress down for a night out with your girls. I wore this jumpsuit to work with a blazer over it and it worked out great. You still portray a professional look with the blazer but can easily add some color/texture with the print. That evening, we had a going away party for my girlfriend. Her and her boyfriend are traveling down the west coast, visiting all the National Parks, in a van that they built into their temporary home. It is amazing and super creative! Once they have their site up, I’ll share it with you all. You have to follow their trip! Anyway, back to the jumpsuit. When we arrived to the going away party, I simply took off my blazer and I instantly turned from professional to girls night style! We hung outside in the warm weather with yummy drinks and great friends. Couldn’t have asked for a better night and on top of that, I felt so accomplished wearing one outfit two different ways.
Now, head to Banana Republic and pick your favorite jumpsuit for the summer. They have the best jumpsuits that fit a more petite frame!
How would you wear a jumpsuit from day-to-night?